Don't put off living to next week, next month, next year or next decade. The only time you’re ever living is in this moment.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Workout of the Day


Back in August I signed up for a four-week introductory course to crossfit.  I still remember being absolutely terrified standing in the Folsom City Crossfit (FCCF) parking lot before my first class.  Now, five months later, I am completely addicted to the sport, as well as the friends I have met there!
FCCF Ladies

When I made the decision to move to Copenhagen, I immediately emailed the local crossfit.  The owner responded that Crossfit Copenhagen happily welcomes “foreigners” into their gym and encouraged me to try a class as soon as I arrived.  On Tuesday night I went to an introductory course in order to see if I could handle an hour-long workout taught completely in Danish.  I am thankful for the coaching I have received at FCCF because I was surprisingly comfortable and confident during the class even though I could not understand a word of what was being spoken around me.   The class on Tuesday took place at one of Crossfit Copenhagen’s locations known as the “Church” since it is located in an old church building.  It was an incredible experience to see a wall full of rowing machines, ropes hanging from the ceiling, countless pull up bars and a cabinet filled with kettlebells located inside of such beautiful architecture.  You can buy Crossfit Copenhagen shirts that say “I go to church six times a week” and I can’t wait to wear mine!  From the moment I walked into Crossfit Copenhagen, it was obvious that Copenhagen is very different from my home gym in Folsom.  FCCF is a small crossfit “box” with three daily classes during the week and one Saturday morning workout.  I know all members by name and see most of them four to five times a week for out nightly training.  FCCF is currently located in one small room, although they are in the process of expanding!   On the other hand, Crossfit Copenhagen has five locations throughout the city with several locations having more than one workout room going at a time.  Classes begin at 7am and continue throughout the entire day until 10 at night.  During the day, there are a variety of classes (normal WODs, beginner WODs, power WODs mega WODs, outdoor WODs…) as well as open gym time for members to work out on their own.  You must sign up online for the class in advance because they limit the amount of people that can be in each workout.  More than 2,000 members belong to Crossfit Copenhagen!  They hold a daily intro class that brings in between 10-15 new members daily.  There is definitely Crossfit fever here in the city! I am interested to see if there is still that “family” atmosphere I am accustomed to in Folsom, but I don’t know how that would work with so many members.  I am hoping to go in the afternoon, when the classes are smaller, so it is easier to meet other crossfitters.  The evening class yesterday was so hectic!  I am so proud I survived my first Danish crossfit class and can’t wait for many more ahead. I’ve also signed up for a Gymnastics Workshop being held for two hours in February.  Maybe a muscle up will finally be in my near future!?    
Crossfit Copenhagen "Church"
CASH IN
50 squats 
40 sit ups 
30 pull ups
20 back extentions
10 push ups

SKILL OF THE DAY
 Skin the cat 

WORKOUT OF THE DAY #1
8-8-8-8-8
Deadlifts

WORKOUT OF THE DAY #2
TEAM WOD filled with push press & burpees

CASH OUT 
Tabata push ups & dips with the parallel bars 

No comments:

Post a Comment