Don't put off living to next week, next month, next year or next decade. The only time you’re ever living is in this moment.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Velkommen!

Welcome to Denmark!  I woke up early this morning to hop on a train from Hamburg to Copenhagen.   The five hour train ride took me through the German countryside, onto a ferry across the Baltic Sea (yes, the train gets on a ferry) and then into Denmark.  Many of you know that I was in a sorority at Sonoma State & my "little" or "kid" as we call them, has lived in Copenhagen for just about three years now.  Unfortunately Angie is moving back to the states in a few weeks, but she took some time off work today to pick me up from the station and point me in the right direction.  Such a relief to see a familiar face as I got off the train!  I took a taxi to my apartment and everything seemed to go downhill from there.  Trying to carry my purse, backpack, two suitcases and the comforter, sheets & pillow my "kid" gave to me was a bit much.  Then of course I couldn't get the elevator at my apartment to work so I had to sit outside the elevator until someone finally came down-- there was no way I was walking up six flights of stairs.  I threw my bags down and decided to go to the grocery store but couldn't figure out how to lock my door.  After shedding a few tears, I heard someone coming out of a room nearby.  Her name is Malene & I am so thankful I met her today!  Malene taught me the trick to locking the door, showed me how to work the elevator, walked me to my mailbox, showed me the downstairs storage locker I have access to and gave me directions to every store I could ever need!  I'm definitely feeling so much better about being in Copenhagen after meeting Malene.  Made a quick trip to the grocery store with a Danish--English translation sheet my "kid" created for me and have spent the rest of the evening trying to get organized.  Oh, and my residence permit was just emailed to me.  I was approved.  Officially a Danish resident for the next six months!

No comments:

Post a Comment