Don't put off living to next week, next month, next year or next decade. The only time you’re ever living is in this moment.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Meet Lucy!

Go ahead, check Lucy out!  Isn’t she a beauty!? 
Well it took two weeks, but I finally found a bike that I have no trouble reaching the pedals when I ride!  I absolutely LOVE it!  The sun is shining again today, surprisingly, so I was able to enjoy an incredible ride home with my new toy!  Copenhagen is known as a “City of Cyclists” but I don’t think you can truly understand the meaning of that phrase until you are here experiencing the Danish bike culture yourself.  For Danes, cycling is an integral part of daily life.  Danes of all ages cycle to school, to work, to drop the kids of at soccer practice.  They ride in the rain, the snow, the wind.  And they do it all in style--I’m talking high heels and dresses!  The extensive and well-designed system of cycle paths has earned Copenhagen the reputation as one of the most bicycle-friendly cities in the world.  In the last five years, New York has built more than 250 miles of bike lanes that they have called “Copenhagen Lanes.” 

Here are a few bike facts from a pamphlet I received when I first arrived in Denmark.
* 55% of all Copenhageners commute to work or study by bike.
* In total Copenhageners bike 1.2 million kilometers a year, which equals a trip to the moon and back,  
   twice.  In comparison, Copenhageners only travel 660,000 kilometers by Metro.
* In central Copenhagen there are more bikes than citizens—520,000 inhabitants and 560,000 bikes.
* The busiest biking lane in the world is Dronning Louises in Copenhagen with up to 36,000 cyclists  
   passing through daily.

Going to head out and ride a little before dark.  Then it’s off to Malmo, Sweden tomorrow!  My bike and I will be hopping on the train in the morning and heading straight to a class at Crossfit Malmo.  I will then spend the afternoon riding around Malmo to all the tourist attractions I can find. 

No comments:

Post a Comment