Don't put off living to next week, next month, next year or next decade. The only time you’re ever living is in this moment.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Vi ses, København

My room, completely empty
Locking up for the last time
My last view of Denmark from the ferry.  
Many people have left Denmark this month by saying "hej hej" (bye) or "farvel" (farewell) but instead of saying goodbye I would like to end with "vi ses København" or "see you later."  I am sitting in the hotel lobby typing my last European blog post and can't help shedding a tear.  The past six months have been better than I could have ever imagined but it's now time to begin adjusting to life back in the States.  

A few things I will miss 
1.  "Hygge" time- Life here seems to move at a much slower pace.  I was just talking to someone about the "drive-thru window" and they were absolutely horrified at the idea of not going into a cafe or restaurant, lighting a candle and enjoying the company of others!  No rush, just pure relaxation! 
2.  My Danish family- Words can not even begin to describe how thankful I am to have been a part of this wonderful Danish family during my stay in Copenhagen.  I had more than 30 new friends instantly- mom, dad, brother, sister, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandma....  
3.  My bike- Getting around town while enjoying the fresh air was the best part of living in Copenhagen.  Now if we could only get rid of the triple digit summer temperatures in Folsom, I would start riding around town a bit more! 
4.  Public transportation- An hour and fifteen minute commute on a bus and train is a pain, an hour and fifteen minute commute via car sounds like a nice way to make me drive a car off a bridge.
5.  Being a two minute walk from the bank, the grocery store, the train station- such a convenience! 


A few things I am looking forward to in the States
1.  Abigail- BEST dog ever, right mom!?  Miss her more than anyone!
2.  Understanding the conversations taking place around me- I have become so accustomed to being surrounded by languages that I do not understand.  Must learn how to eavesdrop again…
3.  Stores open during the week past 5pm and even open on the weekend!  That is unheard of here in Copenhagen.  
4.  Dishwasher- Danes are all about living with only what one needs, no excess.  I can deal with a small apartment, a tiny refrigerator, a little bathroom BUT I need myself a dishwasher. 
5.  Grocery stores- I miss everything about them!  Cleanliness, organization, fresh fruits & veggies, lots of options....  A visit to Whole Foods is one of the first things on my to do list!  

No comments:

Post a Comment