Don't put off living to next week, next month, next year or next decade. The only time you’re ever living is in this moment.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Ireland

Mark my words---Give me a few years and I guarantee I WILL be living in Ireland.  This was the first time I have visited a country that I feel like I could live in and not just vacation to.  My trip started out a bit rough because I forgot that you have to pass through Border Control before you can board a flight bound for Ireland.  It was 8:08 when I finally got through Security and Border Control, which meant I didn’t have much time to make it to my 8:20 flight.  I swore I would never be one of those travelers running through the airport but I had absolutely no choice on Friday morning.  Got to Dublin just in time for a free four-hour walking tour through the city.  It was nice to see all the main sights in town without having to find my own way around.  I finished off the day with an Irish lamb stew and homemade brown bread from a pub in Temple Bar. 
I signed up for a day tour out of Dublin on Tuesday so I was up and out of the hostel early.  Our first stop was Blarney Castle in Southern Ireland.  Blarney Castle is famous for the Blarney Stone.  After climbing the stairs to the top of the castle, visitors lie on their back and lean over into a small hole in the ground to kiss the stone behind them.  This guarantees visitors the "gift of gab"—kiss the stone and you’ll never again be lost for words.  I had about an hour to explore the castle grounds after kissing the stone and spent my time walking the trails through the garden.  
Our tour then headed into the town of Cork for lunch.  I talked to a few great Irish natives at a café and then did some shopping on St. Patricks Street.  When I told one Irishman that I came from Copenhagen, he began talking about how much he loves the Netherlands.  I didn’t say anything but here is a lesson in geography for you all—Copenhagen is NOT in the Netherlands; Copenhagen is the capital of Denmark!  Take a look at a map!  The last stop we made was at the Rock of Cashel where I met a group from Las Vegas, Nevada.  The rock is not just a rock; it is a grouping of medieval architecture consisting of a cathedral, round tower, chapel and choir hall.  
The tour bus arrived back in Dublin thirteen hours later so it was a long but wonderful day.  Our driver said that “Ireland experiences the four seasons in one day.”  Very true!  One minute I was wrapped up in a jacket and scarf while the next minute felt like beach weather!  Back at the hostel I met Jackie from Morristown, New Jersey who was also staying in Dublin for the week.  Fun to meet a great friend while traveling!  On Wednesday I did another trip through Extreme Ireland, this time to the Cliffs of Moher.  I sat next to an older couple from Sacramento that actually met at BJ’s in Folsom and work at Med 7 on East Bidwell.  It is almost impossible to describe the beauty of the cliffs and my pictures don’t do it justice!  All I will say is that the Cliffs are a must see and they are the most visited attraction in Ireland. 
After stopping at a small pub in the village Doolin we swung by the town of Lisdoonvarna in County Clare which holds an annual matchmaking festival that our driver said we can visit in September if we fall in love with Ireland during our trip!  We then traveled some small country roads where we got to see part of the Burren, which is 250 square kilometers of limestone.  
The road took us to Cooke Parke where we hiked through nature’s beauty for an hour before traveling back to Dublin.  I found it mind blowing that we could drive for more than three hours and not see a single city in sight--rolling green hills and countless sheep was all I saw during the bus ride home.  My tour driver for this trip taught us that “for every pub in Ireland, there is also a church” and he got me hooked on saying “cheers” all the time!    
I took DART (train) for twenty minutes into the small coastal town of Bray because there is a cliff walk from Bray to Greystones that came highly recommended. I left Bray at 10 in the morning and arrived in Greystones two hours later, just in time for lunch at an outdoor café. 
Thursday night I visited Ronin Crossfit, a crossfit gym in Dublin.  I had heard that the Irish are a friendly bunch, but the guys at Ronin Crossfit took it to a whole other level!  I have never before felt so welcome during my travels.  Everyone introduced themselves immediately and after the workout we all talked and talked and talked….. I can not wait to visit them all again soon!  Thanks Jody Kennedy for an intense workout.  The squat cleans got very heavy very quickly! 
This morning I got up to learn that almost everything in Ireland is closed on Good Friday.  Ireland is extremely catholic and places are not even supposed to serve alcohol on Good Friday!  I can’t imagine the Irish going a day without their pint!?  Lucked out on my flight and had an entire row to myself so I stretched out and got some rest on my way back to Copenhagen.  Just finished laundry and am packing for an Easter weekend trip with Bodil and her family!

No comments:

Post a Comment