Don't put off living to next week, next month, next year or next decade. The only time you’re ever living is in this moment.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

København Universitet


Two weeks into the semester, I can definitely say that my time in Copenhagen is going to be much less stressful than at McGeorge.  It’s hard to say this, but it is almost hard to deal with some of the differences.  The first difference I have noticed is the importance of time.  At McGeorge, it was pretty crucial to be on time to class.  Some professors may let you slip in late but others, such as 8:00am Civil Procedure with Galves, would resort to public humiliation.  You better be sure you are prepared when walking in late to Prof. Galves because you can guarantee you will be the one he calls on for answers to ridiculously hard questions the entire class.  Whenever I would hit traffic during my morning commute, I would contemplate turning around and missing class instead of showing up after lecture had began.  Here in Copenhagen, the University had a brilliant idea.  Classes are scheduled on the hour but there is something known as the academic quarter, which means instruction doesn’t actually start until fifteen after.  That gives students time to show up late to class.  Well it worked for the first class but now students just consider the class to start at fifteen past so they are still showing up last minute and late.  One of my professor welcomes everyone into the class, even after she has started the lecture, and will walk through the room helping late students find a seat while giving them a quick update on what they missed the first few minutes.  Umm….really!?  Show up on time people.  A judge in court is not going to deal with your inability to be punctual. 

The second thing that is beginning to drive me a bit crazy is that people don’t come prepared to class.  Honestly, I can even imagine not doing the reading assignment before a lecture at McGeorge.  And if you aren’t going to read, at least download the case briefs/outlines off the internet so you have at least some idea what is going on.  Yesterday in my Intl Children’s Law class we got put into groups of eight to do group presentations and there were groups in which not one person had done the reading.  Unbelievable.  I feel like I am back in high school and not working towards a law degree.  Although this semester will be relaxing, I have to remember that in sixth months it’s back to reality at McGeorge so I can’t slack off too much! 

Oh and we have had two weeks of classes and now it is winter break!  Two weeks on, one week off!?  Seems so strange!  I am just finishing packing and will be heading out in the morning to Oslo, Norway for my very first ski trip!  Will be gone for five days and am just praying I come back in one piece which I know may be asking for too much!  The weather this week in Oslo has been -22*C (-8*F) so I’m hoping it will warm up a little this weekend because that it just ridiculous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment